1.30.2013

MOMMY WRIST

clearly no baby wrist here! ^^

New mothers, me included talk about all the positive, wonderful things about their baby.  Of course this is so lovely because babies are so lovely but since I have been in a depressed-i-hate-work-mood I decided to share some facts about my depressing mommy wrist. People this is a real thing, trust me! For me it started right when Brooklyn was born. Both my wrists began to feel weak while I was nursing her. It spread to my thumb, especially my right hand to the point that I could not do simple things like change a diaper, dress b or even send text message without severe pain. Holding her in the nursing position, forget it! Around four months the pain peaked and fortunately has been on a downslope since. Today, at six months the pain is significantly less and most days I don't even notice it. I kept thinking about going to the doctor but with everything I could never find the time. My sister's cute boyfriend gave me a wrist guard for Christmas. I wore it at night for a few weeks and the started lessening. I don't know if it was the wrist guard or timing but either way, thanks Jon!

I found the real deal in this article, "De Quervain's is a condition in which the tendons from the thumb to the wrist become inflamed and rub against the "tunnel" that encloses them, causing sensations from mild discomfort to severe pain on the thumb side of the wrist."

I know some women get it bad enough they need therapy, cortisone shots or even surgery! I was lucky to escape these more extreme measures but there were times the pain felt unbearable. Good luck to all the mommy wrists out there! 








4 comments:

  1. ahh so sorry! my sis in law literally had to get surgery for it, glad yours has gotten better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So bizarre!! Is there anything you can do ahead of time...like strengthening or stretching pre-birth? I've never heard of this before

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know, right!! to my knowledge there is nothing that can be done preventitively. i'm really hoping it doesn't come back for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh my "cute boyfriend" made the blog!! It was totally the wrist guard he gave you! Is it both now though? I thought it was just one wrist??

    ReplyDelete